What are the Modern Languages Tests?
If you are applying to Oxford for Modern Languages, Classics & Modern Languages, English & Modern Languages, European & Middle Eastern Languages (EMEL), History & Modern Languages, Modern Languages & Linguistics, Philosophy & Modern Languages, Psychology & Linguistics, and Philosophy & Linguistics, you will need to sit the MLAT. The MLAT consists of several parts for different language and linguistics courses. Candidates will need to take a maximum of two papers. Each paper lasts 30 minutes, except for the Philosophy paper which is 60 minutes if you are applying for Philosophy & Modern Languages.
MLAT Mock Tests & Answer Packs
We have two practice papers available for French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish to help you identify the areas of grammatical and vocabulary weakness that you struggle with and to improve upon them prior to the real test.
Our practice papers replicate the style, format and timing of the real examinations, giving you the chance to practise your approach to the tests as well as the skills required. Each paper has been written by one of our expert consultants who read that language at Oxford.
What Does The MLAT Involve?
The Modern Languages Admissions Tests (when applying for a language already experienced to A2 level or equivalent) are always designed to test knowledge of basic structures of the foreign language; they are not primarily a test of vocabulary.
The Language Aptitude Test (when applying for certain languages from scratch) is designed to assess your ability to analyse how languages work, in a way which doesn’t depend on your knowledge of any particular language, in order to gauge your aptitude for learning a new language rapidly.
The Linguistics Test (when applying for a joint course with Linguistics or a single language where the first-year course includes the compulsory study of Linguistics) is designed to assess how you approach various kinds of unfamiliar linguistic data and set about analysing them. While there are “right” and “wrong” answers, how you go about finding the solution is as important to Oxford as producing one which is completely correct. For questions carrying more marks, where more space is provided for your answer, try to make as many relevant points as you can think of.
More MLAT Support
Admissions Test Zone
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >