A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman inside how many children she has and how old they are.
“I have three daughters, their ages are whole numbers, and the product of the ages is 36,” says the mother.
“That’s not enough information,” responds the census-taker.
“I’d tell you the sum of their ages, but you’d still be stumped.”
“I wish you’d tell me something more.”
“Okay, my oldest daughter Annie likes dogs.”
What are the ages of the three daughters?
Want to check your answer and find out the method? Click here…
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >