A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman inside how many children she has and how old they are.
“I have three daughters, their ages are whole numbers, and the product of the ages is 36,” says the mother.
“That’s not enough information,” responds the census-taker.
“I’d tell you the sum of their ages, but you’d still be stumped.”
“I wish you’d tell me something more.”
“Okay, my oldest daughter Annie likes dogs.”
What are the ages of the three daughters?
Want to check your answer and find out the method? Click here…
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- UKCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >