A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman inside how many children she has and how old they are.
“I have three daughters, their ages are whole numbers, and the product of the ages is 36,” says the mother.
“That’s not enough information,” responds the census-taker.
“I’d tell you the sum of their ages, but you’d still be stumped.”
“I wish you’d tell me something more.”
“Okay, my oldest daughter Annie likes dogs.”
What are the ages of the three daughters?
Want to check your answer and find out the method? Click here…
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- MAT overview Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- Oxbridge: the global impact Concerning UK university admissions, UCAS have released some interesting stats.... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >