A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman inside how many children she has and how old they are.
“I have three daughters, their ages are whole numbers, and the product of the ages is 36,” says the mother.
“That’s not enough information,” responds the census-taker.
“I’d tell you the sum of their ages, but you’d still be stumped.”
“I wish you’d tell me something more.”
“Okay, my oldest daughter Annie likes dogs.”
What are the ages of the three daughters?
Want to check your answer and find out the method? Click here…
- Oxbridge: the global impact Concerning UK university admissions, UCAS have released some interesting stats.... Read more >
- MAT overview Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- Personal statement solution: brainstorm sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- UKCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- Communications expert Gwyn’s top tips Gwyn Day, our communications specialist who runs interview skills workshops... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >