A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman inside how many children she has and how old they are.
“I have three daughters, their ages are whole numbers, and the product of the ages is 36,” says the mother.
“That’s not enough information,” responds the census-taker.
“I’d tell you the sum of their ages, but you’d still be stumped.”
“I wish you’d tell me something more.”
“Okay, my oldest daughter Annie likes dogs.”
What are the ages of the three daughters?
Want to check your answer and find out the method? Click here…
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- UKCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >