If you are considering applying to Oxford or Cambridge, a Private Consultation with an Oxbridge admissions expert is the best possible way to build a bespoke plan for preparation that will help you maximise your chances of winning a place. Book your consultation by contacting our consultants on:
+44 (0)20 7499 2394
Our Senior Consultants
Potential applicants to Oxbridge should ask themselves the following questions as early as possible:
1) Am I of an academic standard that is high enough to be successful in an Oxbridge application?
2) What can I do to prepare, so that I show myself to be an outstanding candidate at each stage of the application process?
Private Consultations offer candidates and their families the opportunity to gain research-led answers to these questions. Run by an Oxbridge-graduate admissions expert, a Private Consultation begins with a subject-specific mock interview to assess the candidate’s current strengths and areas for improvement. Following this, candidates receive full feedback, all of the information they need to prepare themselves for the application steps ahead, and a bespoke strategy for preparation.
50% EASTER DISCOUNT FOR PRIVATE CONSULTATIONS
If you book your Private Consultation to take place within the Easter period, between now and the 24th April, you are entitled to a 50% discount.
Phone our Oxbridge-graduate consultants to book your discounted Private Consultation at £135, places are limited and subject to availability: +44 (0)20 7499 2394
Offer does not apply to bookings for after the 24th April.
common areas covered in a private consultation
When a student decides that they want to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, they immediately encounter a range of questions. A Private Consultation is an opportunity to get expert, detailed answers based on our 17 years of research to questions like these:
- Which university should I apply to? How should I choose between Oxford and Cambridge?
- How do I compare to others in my position? Am I as good as other students applying?
- Which specific degree would suit me? How would different course choices affect my chances of success?
- What’s the difference between the colleges? Do I stand a better chance at some rather than others?
- How can I prepare myself properly for the interviews? What will I be asked – and why?
- How can I draft a UCAS form and Personal Statement that appeals to Oxford or Cambridge Admissions Tutors?
- How can I prepare for the TSA, ELAT, HAT, PAT, LNAT, Cambridge Law Test, BMAT exam, or any of the other admissions tests they might throw my way?
Applying to Cambridge or Oxford is a more complicated process than many other UK universities, with the additional challenges of interviews and admissions tests. Understanding how to improve your chances of getting into Oxbridge requires both a thorough understanding of the admissions process, and a strategy for preparation that will help you put your best foot forward at every stage.
Structure of a consultation
A Private Consultation is divided into three key sections:
- Subject-specific mock interview. In a one-to-one interview environment, we will assess a student’s communication, subject-knowledge and potential to study their subject at university using real past interview questions.
- Parent consultation. Following the mock interview, we will ask the student to leave the session in order to discuss their performance with the family. This is also a chance to ask questions you may have about any aspect of the application process.
- Evaluation and next steps. As a group, we will discuss a strategy for developing the student’s skills in each area of the application process.
The one-hour session begins with a twenty-minute, subject-specific mock interview with the candidate. Parent(s) then speak to our Oxbridge consultants alone for twenty minutes to discuss any specific queries or concerns. In the final twenty minutes, we bring the candidate and their family together for full feedback, to give expert answers to all remaining questions, and provide a bespoke preparation strategy for each stage of the application. This consultation follows the same structure as our traditional consultation, but with supplementary feedback on the Personal Statement. Candidates must submit a draft of their Personal Statement 48 hours in advance of the consultation so that our Oxbridge consultants can review it. The final third of the Private Consultation session is then extended to 30 minutes, to enable our consultant to provide additional feedback on the Personal Statement.
Personal Statement Focus
The one-hour session begins with a twenty-minute, subject-specific mock interview with the candidate.
Parent(s) then speak to our Oxbridge consultants alone for twenty minutes to discuss any specific queries or concerns.
In the final twenty minutes, we bring the candidate and their family together for full feedback, to give expert answers to all remaining questions, and provide a bespoke preparation strategy for each stage of the application.
This consultation follows the same structure as our traditional consultation, but with supplementary feedback on the Personal Statement.
Candidates must submit a draft of their Personal Statement 48 hours in advance of the consultation so that our Oxbridge consultants can review it.
The final third of the Private Consultation session is then extended to 30 minutes, to enable our consultant to provide additional feedback on the Personal Statement.
Following the consultation, candidates may be invited to join our most bespoke and comprehensive programme of support, the Premier Service.
Book a consultation
Private Consultations cost £270 and can take place in our central London offices or over Skype. For the Personal Statement Focus sessions, there is a supplementary charge of £25. Simply ask the consultant booking your appointment if you would like the Personal Statement option.
All bookings are taken over the phone with a consultant. There is a list of appointments below, but if these do not suit your schedule, we will endeavour to accommodate you at another time. These sessions are most suitable for students over 15 who are achieving highly in school exams.
+44 (0)207 499 2394
Private Consultations take place throughout the year and are most appropriate for students over the age of 15. We strongly encourage parent(s) or guardian(s) to be involved as well. Family involvement tends to have a substantial impact on the application which we find to be positive. Our current availability is as follows:
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
17th - No Availability 18th - Limited Availability 19th - Limited Availability 20th - Limited Availability 21st - Limited Availability 22nd - Limited Availability
24th - Limited Availability 25th - Good Availability 26th - Limited Availability 27th - Limited Availability 28th - Limited Availability 29th - Good Availability
1st - Limited Availability 2nd - Limited Availability 3rd - Limited Availability 4th- Limited Availability 5th- Limited Availability 6th- Limited Availability
8th - Limited Availability 9th - Limited Availability 10th - Good Availability 11th - Limited Availability 12th - Limited Availability 13th - Limited Availability
Book an appointment now by calling +44 (0)207 499 2394, or emailing email@example.com. All bookings must be confirmed over the phone.
Private Consultation Testimonials
Many thanks for your time on Saturday and for the detailed feedback. All of us found the session highly informative and useful. You provided invaluable information and advice to [my daughter] which I know she has already started to take on board.
Parent following a consultation, 2016
Thank you for all this information, we are finding it very helpful indeed . . . the consultation and swift feedback has been invaluable in seeing where [my son] is currently at and what he needs to focus on improving. He has a lot to do but it is great now to have a clear vision of what they will be looking for.
Parent following a consultation, 2015
I am delighted to have met you: you are indeed an inspiration to the youngsters whom you mentor . . . my experience with Oxbridge Applications has always been very good, and I’m confident that the coming year will be exactly the same.
Parent following a consultation, 2014
Thank you for the professional and positive session with [my son] last night. He went home very motivated and inspired.
Parent of a successful Oxford applicant, 2014
Find Out More
Support Your Preparation with our Free Resources
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Personal statement solution: brainstorm sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >