If you are considering applying to Oxford or Cambridge, a Private Consultation with an Oxbridge admissions expert is the best possible way to build a bespoke plan for preparation that will help you maximise your chances of winning a place. Book your consultation by contacting our consultants on:
+44 (0)20 7499 2394
Our Senior Consultants
Alicia Luba, Director of Consultancy, BA English Language and Literature, Oxford
Alison Bissell, Head of Oxbridge Applications, BA Maths and Philosophy, Oxford
Potential applicants to Oxbridge should ask themselves the following questions as early as possible:
1) Am I of an academic standard that is high enough to be successful in an Oxbridge application?
2) What can I do to prepare, so that I show myself to be an outstanding candidate at each stage of the application process?
Private Consultations offer candidates and their families the opportunity to gain research-led answers to these questions. Run by an Oxbridge-graduate admissions expert, a Private Consultation begins with a subject-specific mock interview to assess the candidate’s current strengths and areas for improvement. Following this, candidates receive full feedback, all of the information they need to prepare themselves for the application steps ahead, and a bespoke strategy for preparation.
common areas covered in a private consultation
When a student decides that they want to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, they immediately encounter a range of questions. A Private Consultation is an opportunity to get expert, detailed answers based on our 18 years of research to questions like these:
- Which university should I apply to? How should I choose between Oxford and Cambridge?
- How do I compare to others in my position? Am I as good as other students applying?
- Which specific degree would suit me? How would different course choices affect my chances of success?
- What’s the difference between the colleges? Do I stand a better chance at some rather than others?
- How can I prepare myself properly for the interviews? What will I be asked – and why?
- How can I draft a UCAS form and Personal Statement that appeals to Oxford or Cambridge Admissions Tutors?
- How can I prepare for the TSA, ELAT, HAT, PAT, LNAT, Cambridge Law Test, BMAT exam, or any of the other admissions tests they might throw my way?
Applying to Cambridge or Oxford is a more complicated process than many other UK universities, with the additional challenges of interviews and admissions tests. Understanding how to improve your chances of getting into Oxbridge requires both a thorough understanding of the admissions process, and a strategy for preparation that will help you put your best foot forward at every stage.
Structure of a consultation
A Private Consultation is divided into three key sections:
- Subject-specific mock interview. In a one-to-one interview environment, we will assess a student’s communication, subject-knowledge and potential to study their subject at university using real past interview questions.
- Parent consultation. Following the mock interview, we will ask the student to leave the session in order to discuss their performance with the family. This is also a chance to ask questions you may have about any aspect of the application process.
- Evaluation and next steps. As a group, we will discuss a strategy for developing the student’s skills in each area of the application process.
For the extra admissions test support option, then the Private Consultation will also include:
- A shorter, concentrated version of the Admissions Test you will need to take at, or before, interview. You will also be able to go over the test with your consultant, and receive invaluable feedback before proceeding with the rest of the session.
The one-hour session begins with a twenty-minute, subject-specific mock interview with the candidate. Parent(s) then speak to our Oxbridge consultants alone for twenty minutes to discuss any specific queries or concerns. In the final twenty minutes, we bring the candidate and their family together for full feedback, to give expert answers to all remaining questions, and provide a bespoke preparation strategy for each stage of the application. This consultation follows the same structure as our traditional consultation, but with supplementary feedback on the Personal Statement. Candidates must submit a draft of their Personal Statement 48 hours in advance of the consultation so that our Oxbridge consultants can review it. The consultation will then include an extra 30 minutes of feedback on the Personal Statement, taking it to a total of 90 minutes. This consultation follows the same structure as our traditional consultation, but with supplementary feedback on a shorter, concentrated version of an Admissions Test. Candidates must specify which Admissions Test they need for their consultation. An Admissions Test Private Consultation session is 30 minutes longer, to enable candidates to sit the test and receive feedback from our consultants.
Personal Statement Focus
Admissions Test Focus
The one-hour session begins with a twenty-minute, subject-specific mock interview with the candidate.
Parent(s) then speak to our Oxbridge consultants alone for twenty minutes to discuss any specific queries or concerns.
In the final twenty minutes, we bring the candidate and their family together for full feedback, to give expert answers to all remaining questions, and provide a bespoke preparation strategy for each stage of the application.
This consultation follows the same structure as our traditional consultation, but with supplementary feedback on the Personal Statement.
Candidates must submit a draft of their Personal Statement 48 hours in advance of the consultation so that our Oxbridge consultants can review it.
The consultation will then include an extra 30 minutes of feedback on the Personal Statement, taking it to a total of 90 minutes.
This consultation follows the same structure as our traditional consultation, but with supplementary feedback on a shorter, concentrated version of an Admissions Test.
Candidates must specify which Admissions Test they need for their consultation.
An Admissions Test Private Consultation session is 30 minutes longer, to enable candidates to sit the test and receive feedback from our consultants.
Following the consultation, candidates may be invited to join our most bespoke and comprehensive programme of support, the Premier Service.
Book a consultation
Private Consultations cost £295 and can take place in our central London offices or over Skype™. For the Personal Statement Focus sessions, there is a supplementary charge of £55 (£350). Simply ask the consultant booking your appointment if you would like the Personal Statement option.
For the Private Consultation with Admissions Test support, which we highly recommend, there is a supplementary charge of £55 (£350). Simply inform the consultant booking your appointment if you would like the Admissions Test option.
All bookings are taken over the phone with a consultant. There is a list of appointments below, but if these do not suit your schedule, we will endeavour to accommodate you at another time. These sessions are most suitable for students over 15 who are achieving highly in school exams.
+44 (0)207 499 2394
Private Consultations take place throughout the year and are most appropriate for students over the age of 15. We strongly encourage parent(s) or guardian(s) to be involved as well. Family involvement tends to have a substantial impact on the application which we find to be positive. Our current availability is as follows:
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
3rd - No Availability 4th- No Availability 5th - Limited Availability 6th - Limited Availability 7th - Limited Availability 8th - Limited Availability
10th - Limited Availability 11th - Limited Availability 12th - Limited Availability 13th - Limited Availability 14th - No Availability 15th - No Availability
17th - Limited Availability 18th - Limited Availability 19th - Very Limited Availability 20th - Limited Availability 21st - Limited Availability 22nd - No Availability
24th - No Availability 25th - No Availability 26th - No Availability 27th - No Availability 28th - No Availability 29th - No Availability
Book an appointment now by calling +44 (0)207 499 2394, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. All bookings must be confirmed over the phone.
Private Consultation Testimonials
I thought it was a most impressive session which [my son] got a lot from. Very much worth every penny. Thank you.
Parent following a consultation, 2017
Thank you also for all your brilliant help, it made the whole process far less daunting.
Student following a consultation, 2017
Many thanks for your time on Saturday and for the detailed feedback. All of us found the session highly informative and useful. You provided invaluable information and advice to [my daughter] which I know she has already started to take on board.
Parent following a consultation, 2016
Thank you for all this information, we are finding it very helpful indeed . . . the consultation and swift feedback has been invaluable in seeing where [my son] is currently at and what he needs to focus on improving. He has a lot to do but it is great now to have a clear vision of what they will be looking for.
Parent following a consultation, 2015
I am delighted to have met you: you are indeed an inspiration to the youngsters whom you mentor . . . my experience with Oxbridge Applications has always been very good, and I’m confident that the coming year will be exactly the same.
Parent following a consultation, 2014
Thank you for the professional and positive session with [my son] last night. He went home very motivated and inspired.
Parent of a successful Oxford applicant, 2014
Find Out More
Support Your Preparation with our Free Resources
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >