If you are considering applying to Oxford or Cambridge, a Private Consultation with an Oxbridge admissions expert is the best possible way to build a bespoke plan for preparation that will help you maximise your chances of winning a place. Book your consultation by contacting our consultants on:
+44 (0)20 7499 2394
Our Senior Consultants
Potential applicants to Oxbridge should ask themselves the following questions as early as possible:
1) Am I of an academic standard that is high enough to be successful in an Oxbridge application?
2) What can I do to prepare, so that I show myself to be an outstanding candidate at each stage of the application process?
Private Consultations offer candidates and their families the opportunity to gain research-led answers to these questions. Run by an Oxbridge-graduate admissions expert, a Private Consultation begins with a subject-specific mock interview to assess the candidate’s current strengths and areas for improvement. Following this, candidates receive full feedback, all of the information they need to prepare themselves for the application steps ahead, and a bespoke strategy for preparation.
common areas covered in a private consultation
When a student decides that they want to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, they immediately encounter a range of questions. A Private Consultation is an opportunity to get expert, detailed answers based on our 17 years of research to questions like these:
- Which university should I apply to? How should I choose between Oxford and Cambridge?
- How do I compare to others in my position? Am I as good as other students applying?
- Which specific degree would suit me? How would different course choices affect my chances of success?
- What’s the difference between the colleges? Do I stand a better chance at some rather than others?
- How can I prepare myself properly for the interviews? What will I be asked – and why?
- How can I draft a UCAS form and Personal Statement that appeals to Oxford or Cambridge Admissions Tutors?
- How can I prepare for the TSA, ELAT, HAT, PAT, LNAT, Cambridge Law Test, BMAT exam, or any of the other admissions tests they might throw my way?
Applying to Cambridge or Oxford is a more complicated process than many other UK universities, with the additional challenges of interviews and admissions tests. Understanding how to improve your chances of getting into Oxbridge requires both a thorough understanding of the admissions process, and a strategy for preparation that will help you put your best foot forward at every stage.
Structure of a consultation
A Private Consultation is divided into three key sections:
- Subject-specific mock interview. In a one-to-one interview environment, we will assess a student’s communication, subject-knowledge and potential to study their subject at university using real past interview questions.
- Parent consultation. Following the mock interview, we will ask the student to leave the session in order to discuss their performance with the family. This is also a chance to ask questions you may have about any aspect of the application process.
- Evaluation and next steps. As a group, we will discuss a strategy for developing the student’s skills in each area of the application process.
The one-hour session begins with a twenty-minute, subject-specific mock interview with the candidate. Parent(s) then speak to our Oxbridge consultants alone for twenty minutes to discuss any specific queries or concerns. In the final twenty minutes, we bring the candidate and their family together for full feedback, to give expert answers to all remaining questions, and provide a bespoke preparation strategy for each stage of the application. This consultation follows the same structure as our traditional consultation, but with supplementary feedback on the Personal Statement. Candidates must submit a draft of their Personal Statement 48 hours in advance of the consultation so that our Oxbridge consultants can review it. The final third of the Private Consultation session is then extended to 30 minutes, to enable our consultant to provide additional feedback on the Personal Statement.
Personal Statement Focus
The one-hour session begins with a twenty-minute, subject-specific mock interview with the candidate.
Parent(s) then speak to our Oxbridge consultants alone for twenty minutes to discuss any specific queries or concerns.
In the final twenty minutes, we bring the candidate and their family together for full feedback, to give expert answers to all remaining questions, and provide a bespoke preparation strategy for each stage of the application.
This consultation follows the same structure as our traditional consultation, but with supplementary feedback on the Personal Statement.
Candidates must submit a draft of their Personal Statement 48 hours in advance of the consultation so that our Oxbridge consultants can review it.
The final third of the Private Consultation session is then extended to 30 minutes, to enable our consultant to provide additional feedback on the Personal Statement.
Following the consultation, candidates may be invited to join our most bespoke and comprehensive programme of support, the Premier Service.
Book a consultation
Private Consultations cost £270 and can take place in our central London offices or over Skype. For the Personal Statement Focus sessions, there is a supplementary charge of £25. Simply ask the consultant booking your appointment if you would like the Personal Statement option.
All bookings are taken over the phone with a consultant. There is a list of appointments below, but if these do not suit your schedule, we will endeavour to accommodate you at another time. These sessions are most suitable for students over 15 who are achieving highly in school exams.
+44 (0)207 499 2394
Private Consultations take place throughout the year and are most appropriate for students over the age of 15. We strongly encourage parent(s) or guardian(s) to be involved as well. Family involvement tends to have a substantial impact on the application which we find to be positive. Our current availability is as follows:
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
19th - Limited Availability 20th - Limited Availability 21st - Good Availability 22nd - Limited Availability 23rd - Good Availability 24th - Limited Availability
26th - Limited Availability 27th - Good Availability 28th - Limited Availability 29th - Limited Availability 30th - Limited Availability 1st - Limited Availability
3rd - Limited Availability 4th - Limited Availability 5th - Limited Availability 6th - Limited Availability 7th - Limited Availability 8th - Limited Availability
10th - Limited Availability 11th - Limited Availability 12th - Limited Availability 13th - Limited Availability 14th - Limited Availability 15th - Limited Availability
Book an appointment now by calling +44 (0)207 499 2394, or emailing email@example.com. All bookings must be confirmed over the phone.
Private Consultation Testimonials
Many thanks for your time on Saturday and for the detailed feedback. All of us found the session highly informative and useful. You provided invaluable information and advice to [my daughter] which I know she has already started to take on board.
Parent following a consultation, 2016
Thank you for all this information, we are finding it very helpful indeed . . . the consultation and swift feedback has been invaluable in seeing where [my son] is currently at and what he needs to focus on improving. He has a lot to do but it is great now to have a clear vision of what they will be looking for.
Parent following a consultation, 2015
I am delighted to have met you: you are indeed an inspiration to the youngsters whom you mentor . . . my experience with Oxbridge Applications has always been very good, and I’m confident that the coming year will be exactly the same.
Parent following a consultation, 2014
Thank you for the professional and positive session with [my son] last night. He went home very motivated and inspired.
Parent of a successful Oxford applicant, 2014
Find Out More
Support Your Preparation with our Free Resources
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Personal statement solution: brainstorm sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >