The World Health Organisation polled thousands of teenagers around the world to rank their life satisfaction levels – and found that Polish 15-year-olds were the least satisfied.
The study measured satisfaction across 15-year-olds, and asked students how satisfied they felt in life, as well as how pressured they felt by school work; how much they like school; and how easy they found it to talk to their mothers. On the other end of the scale to Poland, teenagers from Moldova and Armenia were reportedly the most satisfied with their life.
Unsurprising to Economics and PPE applicants, there was a positive correlation between affluence and happiness in the countries polled. The gap between teenagers in some areas was extreme – for example, 58% of Armenian teenagers reported liking schools, compared to an extraordinarily low 5% of French teenagers. Geography applicants should consider what factors contribute to satisfaction with schooling.
Of interest to HSPS applicants is the discrepancy in self-reporting from boys and girls; boys are generally more likely to be satisfied with their life, but girls are more likely to enjoy school with the two key exception of England and Sweden. Education applicants meanwhile should consider which factors may lead to gendered differences in enjoyment of school – the inverse of life satisfaction trends.
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >