A recent interview with Washington-based Susie McKinnon, by all accounts a normal middle-aged woman, revealed something special about her memory – namely, that she didn’t have one.
At least, not in the way we are typically familiar. McKinnon met with University of Toronto’s Endel Tulving, a researcher who originally characterised the difference between episodic and semantic memory. Through his research, Tulving found that memory isn’t just the ability to recall facts, but is an interrelation between being able to recall information about what happened and being able to imagine oneself in those memories, almost like a first-person film reel. McKinnon discovered it was this latter part of memory, episodic memory, that she lacked.
Psychology students may be familiar with these differences in memory, but it is useful to understand what this case means for our understanding of the brain and of what it means to live a fulfilled life. People with neurological damage or amnesia are often seen as deficient in some quality of life, by having memories removed. For McKinnon, on the other hand, she had a firm grasp on her sense of self and what had happened in her life. She simply lacked the ability to imagine or recall herself in memories, and could not feel or recall the way her memories made her feel.
Law applicants should consider how memory intersects with eye-witness testimony, and how much of this episodic memory is created by associated feelings and sentiments rather than an objective recollection of facts. For further reading, Psychology, Biological Sciences and HSPS applicants interested in psychological behavioural patterns should read the work of Oliver Sacks which largely focuses on case studies with different brain aphasia.
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >