Recent comments by creator of Hamilton: The Musical Lin-Manuel Miranda have suggested that Alexander Hamilton will continue to be a featured aspect of the US $10 bill.
In June 2015, treasury secretary Jack Lew announced, somewhat controversially, that founding father Alexander Hamilton would be replaced on the ten dollar bill to make room for a woman on the currency. HSPS applicants may be aware of arguments that occurred as a result of this proposed change – namely that removing Alexander Hamilton would be a disservice to the first Treasury secretary’s contribution to the US financial system, and conversely, that putting a woman on the ten dollar bill rather than the twenty was a pandering, less significant move.
Anthropology applicants should consider the significance of currency to nationalist movements. Michael Billig referred to the use of money as ‘banal nationalism’; nationalism that is forged over time through tacit transactions such as using the money of a nation, listening to the music of a nation, eating the food of a nation and so on. All of these seemingly insignificant ways consolidate a national sentiment, and anthropologists should consider how the normalcy of a woman on currency would impact national attitudes towards women.
Hamilton: The Musical’s impact on currency discussions should be considered carefully by English and History applicants – it is significant throughout history how political movements are mirrored and even informed by the art that emerges alongside it.
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >