Recent comments by creator of Hamilton: The Musical Lin-Manuel Miranda have suggested that Alexander Hamilton will continue to be a featured aspect of the US $10 bill.
In June 2015, treasury secretary Jack Lew announced, somewhat controversially, that founding father Alexander Hamilton would be replaced on the ten dollar bill to make room for a woman on the currency. HSPS applicants may be aware of arguments that occurred as a result of this proposed change – namely that removing Alexander Hamilton would be a disservice to the first Treasury secretary’s contribution to the US financial system, and conversely, that putting a woman on the ten dollar bill rather than the twenty was a pandering, less significant move.
Anthropology applicants should consider the significance of currency to nationalist movements. Michael Billig referred to the use of money as ‘banal nationalism’; nationalism that is forged over time through tacit transactions such as using the money of a nation, listening to the music of a nation, eating the food of a nation and so on. All of these seemingly insignificant ways consolidate a national sentiment, and anthropologists should consider how the normalcy of a woman on currency would impact national attitudes towards women.
Hamilton: The Musical’s impact on currency discussions should be considered carefully by English and History applicants – it is significant throughout history how political movements are mirrored and even informed by the art that emerges alongside it.
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- UKCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >