A group of tattoo artists have filed a lawsuit claiming they have ownership of the tattoos of several famous sport stars.
The New York Federal Court is currently examining the case of Solid Oak Sketches v Take-Two Interactive, a video game developing company who created the NBA 2K game. In the game, basketball players LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and DeAndre Jordan are shown sporting their real-life tattoos, all received from Solid Oak Sketches.
It is this realism in the game, however, which is prompting the tattoo artists to take legal action, claiming that the tattoos are copyrighted material that belong to the artists who made them. They argue that playing a song incurs royalties for the creator, and showing representations of art provides the artist with compensation. Why would tattoos be any different?
Philosophy and Medicine students should consider the wider implications of what tattoo artists owning their work means; taking the case of LeBron, it is now arguable that he does not have autonomy over his own body and that the art takes precedence over his right of presentation. The law suit is about a representation of him in a video game, and yet he has no say.
Another factor to consider is the collaborative element; LeBron chose the tattoo and may have had input into its outcome. His body is also part of the artwork – do we see the paint as separate from the canvas when considering other forms of art? Lawyers should consider how ownership and intellectual property rights are used in this case, and History of Art students should explore how tattoos have been conceptualised as both art and vandalism throughout history.
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >