A group of tattoo artists have filed a lawsuit claiming they have ownership of the tattoos of several famous sport stars.
The New York Federal Court is currently examining the case of Solid Oak Sketches v Take-Two Interactive, a video game developing company who created the NBA 2K game. In the game, basketball players LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and DeAndre Jordan are shown sporting their real-life tattoos, all received from Solid Oak Sketches.
It is this realism in the game, however, which is prompting the tattoo artists to take legal action, claiming that the tattoos are copyrighted material that belong to the artists who made them. They argue that playing a song incurs royalties for the creator, and showing representations of art provides the artist with compensation. Why would tattoos be any different?
Philosophy and Medicine students should consider the wider implications of what tattoo artists owning their work means; taking the case of LeBron, it is now arguable that he does not have autonomy over his own body and that the art takes precedence over his right of presentation. The law suit is about a representation of him in a video game, and yet he has no say.
Another factor to consider is the collaborative element; LeBron chose the tattoo and may have had input into its outcome. His body is also part of the artwork – do we see the paint as separate from the canvas when considering other forms of art? Lawyers should consider how ownership and intellectual property rights are used in this case, and History of Art students should explore how tattoos have been conceptualised as both art and vandalism throughout history.
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >