The Indonesian village of Kampung Pelangi in Randusari is enjoying a surge in tourism, following a colourful makeover stretching across 223 houses, as well as the local bridge and benches which are dotted around the town. Each house, including its rooftop, has been painted a minimum of three colours. Funding for this project came from the local government, who allocated RP 300 million (around £17,000) in the hope that the village would become a new tourist attraction.
The increase in tourism is boosting the local economy, as residents are catering to the needs of the increasing numbers of visitors by selling food and souvenirs. The picturesque village is becoming especially popular with photo enthusiasts, who are uploading their striking images to sites like Instagram, which further raises the profile of Kampung Pelangi.
Prior to the transformation, the village was called Kampung Wonosari and was considered a slum, but the local government saw the opportunity to create an important social project that would encourage citizens to become involved in beautifying their surroundings. The Mayor, Hendrar Prihadi, personally supported locals with the painting. It is hoped that as well as painting the rest of the houses in the village, other activities – such as clearing and cleaning the local river – will follow.
Economics and Politics students might wish to look at how this local government-led project has improved the local economy, while HSPS students might be interested in the effects that social media sites, such as Instagram, have in tourism trends.
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >