The Indonesian village of Kampung Pelangi in Randusari is enjoying a surge in tourism, following a colourful makeover stretching across 223 houses, as well as the local bridge and benches which are dotted around the town. Each house, including its rooftop, has been painted a minimum of three colours. Funding for this project came from the local government, who allocated RP 300 million (around £17,000) in the hope that the village would become a new tourist attraction.
The increase in tourism is boosting the local economy, as residents are catering to the needs of the increasing numbers of visitors by selling food and souvenirs. The picturesque village is becoming especially popular with photo enthusiasts, who are uploading their striking images to sites like Instagram, which further raises the profile of Kampung Pelangi.
Prior to the transformation, the village was called Kampung Wonosari and was considered a slum, but the local government saw the opportunity to create an important social project that would encourage citizens to become involved in beautifying their surroundings. The Mayor, Hendrar Prihadi, personally supported locals with the painting. It is hoped that as well as painting the rest of the houses in the village, other activities – such as clearing and cleaning the local river – will follow.
Economics and Politics students might wish to look at how this local government-led project has improved the local economy, while HSPS students might be interested in the effects that social media sites, such as Instagram, have in tourism trends.
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >