The Indonesian village of Kampung Pelangi in Randusari is enjoying a surge in tourism, following a colourful makeover stretching across 223 houses, as well as the local bridge and benches which are dotted around the town. Each house, including its rooftop, has been painted a minimum of three colours. Funding for this project came from the local government, who allocated RP 300 million (around £17,000) in the hope that the village would become a new tourist attraction.
The increase in tourism is boosting the local economy, as residents are catering to the needs of the increasing numbers of visitors by selling food and souvenirs. The picturesque village is becoming especially popular with photo enthusiasts, who are uploading their striking images to sites like Instagram, which further raises the profile of Kampung Pelangi.
Prior to the transformation, the village was called Kampung Wonosari and was considered a slum, but the local government saw the opportunity to create an important social project that would encourage citizens to become involved in beautifying their surroundings. The Mayor, Hendrar Prihadi, personally supported locals with the painting. It is hoped that as well as painting the rest of the houses in the village, other activities – such as clearing and cleaning the local river – will follow.
Economics and Politics students might wish to look at how this local government-led project has improved the local economy, while HSPS students might be interested in the effects that social media sites, such as Instagram, have in tourism trends.
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- UKCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >