British frontline personnel and those involved in taking the decision to launch drone strikes overseas could face murder charges if the UK government does not provide a clearer outline of its position.
According to the JCHR (Joint Committee on Human Rights), the current confusion around the circumstances in which the command chain could be liable to prosecution could lead to other countries taking the UK to court, were one of their nationals killed in a strike. The committee began its inquiry after the targeted killing of Reyaad Khan, a 21-year old British citizen, in Syria. The UK government has staunchly denied it has a targeted killing policy, which carried connotations of the controversial US one, but it does reserve the right to conduct targeted killings outside armed conflict in self-defence and to combat terrorism.
Yet, the JCHR and legal charities still have many questions about the legal basis for drone strikes. Students applying for Law should consider the possible legal justifications for targeted killings and the case for and against UK policy.
Politics applicants should consider this policy in the context of UK foreign policy and the potential constitutional issues it could raise. Would-be Philosophy students should consider the ethical considerations around drone strikes and targeted killings more generally.
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Oxbridge: the global impact Concerning UK university admissions, UCAS have released some interesting stats.... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >