A Danish zoo has created a dating app for orangutans similar to the human app ‘Tinder.’ The experiment shows female orangutans potential mates on an iPad, allowing her to choose a mate from various male orangutans. This is designed to improve her mating chances. The zoo will then use this data to choose which male orangutan to bring to the zoo from overseas.
Previously, orangutans have had to be returned to their original zoo without mating. This new experiment is hoping to overcome these difficulties and make the mating process more accurate.
There have been problems with allowing orangutans to use iPads. Many iPads have been smashed during this experiment, and as a result, they are hoping to develop a ‘primate proof’ tablet.
Applicants to Biological Sciences and Psychological and Behavioural Sciences may want to consider the wider implications of this experiment. How can it be used to gain further insight into how female orangutans make mating choices? How can we use human development and dating preferences to learn about those of another primate? The “Tinder” experiment is part of a broader look at the role of emotions in primate relationships. This experiment could highlight the different levels emotions play in human relationships and in orangutan relationships.
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >