Research released by the University of Adelaide has revealed new insights into the origins of some of the most widely spoken languages.
Through genetic profiling of more than 90 bodies dating back from 3000-8000 years ago, great similarities have been demonstrated between people from disparate geographical origins. Waves of several migrations explain this genetic mixing, and give way to the argument that at least some of the Indo-European languages spoken in Europe were likely to be the result of a large migration from eastern Russia.
The study goes on to trace Europe’s first farmers in Germany and Spain back to the common origin of what is now known as Turkey. While this research does not solve the problem of the origin of all languages, the study does go some way to disprove the Archaeological theory that Indo-European languages emerged from Anatolian farmers arriving in the early 1000s, and rather argues for a larger blend of nationalities and a wider dissemination of languages in the Stone Age.
Human Sciences applicants may wish to trace this phenomenon back even further and investigate evolutionary theories as to how language emerged in the physiology of primates and proto-humans.
The leader of the study, Professor David Reich of Harvard Medical School, argues that we must now look to the East, the Caucasus, Iran and India for the origins of Indo-European Modern and Medieval Languages, in the hopes of one day soon finding where language as we know it today began.
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >