Scientists have found 38 regions of DNA which correlate with the age at which people first have sex.
As Biological Sciences applicants will be aware, the correlation between genetics and variation is strong in different attributes of humans. When considering height, for example, genes account for 80% of the variation with only 20% accounted for by environmental factors.
When studying virginity, scientists found that genes accounted for 25% of the variation, meaning that other factors have much more influence than genetics. The study is useful, however, in noting that genetics has as strong an influence as it does. One of the genes, CADM2, is a molecule involved in ‘nerve signalling’, and the so-called ‘early-sex variant’ of CADM2 is linked with riskier behaviour and poorer mental abilities such as attention.
HSPS applicants should consider how the age at which people first have sex can correlate to socio-economic class, cultural norms, and geographical factors such as living in urban areas versus rural areas. Law applicants should think similarly about how global variations in the age of consent correlate with the age at which people first have sex.
Finally, students applying for Natural Sciences (B) or Medicine should think about how improved nutrition and general health of populations over the past century has led to decreased ages of puberty, and how this may impact the age at which people become sexually active.
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >