Scientists have found 38 regions of DNA which correlate with the age at which people first have sex.
As Biological Sciences applicants will be aware, the correlation between genetics and variation is strong in different attributes of humans. When considering height, for example, genes account for 80% of the variation with only 20% accounted for by environmental factors.
When studying virginity, scientists found that genes accounted for 25% of the variation, meaning that other factors have much more influence than genetics. The study is useful, however, in noting that genetics has as strong an influence as it does. One of the genes, CADM2, is a molecule involved in ‘nerve signalling’, and the so-called ‘early-sex variant’ of CADM2 is linked with riskier behaviour and poorer mental abilities such as attention.
HSPS applicants should consider how the age at which people first have sex can correlate to socio-economic class, cultural norms, and geographical factors such as living in urban areas versus rural areas. Law applicants should think similarly about how global variations in the age of consent correlate with the age at which people first have sex.
Finally, students applying for Natural Sciences (B) or Medicine should think about how improved nutrition and general health of populations over the past century has led to decreased ages of puberty, and how this may impact the age at which people become sexually active.
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >