In the post-2008 crash era, the potential for market crashes to wreak havoc is well known. Economics applicants should have noted the news late this summer reporting the woes on global indices, such as the FTSE 100 losing almost 4.5% of its value in half a day’s trading in response to poor Chinese data.
While the UK and other western economies have had something of a hard time of it since Lehman Brothers’ collapse, most would probably assume that stock market volatility is not the primary cause of concern for less developed countries.
However, recent research from Lloyds of London and the University of Cambridge has highlighted the damage that market crashes could cause in African states. Geographers will be interested to note that more than 50% of Africans will live in cities by 2030. With this urbanisation, the research group found that threats facing African societies, such as droughts, pandemics and tectonic events, may start to subside. Market instability instead looks set to become the major cause of concern for urban populations, with Johannesburg at risk of losing 35% of annual GDP output in the event of a serious crash.
Mathematicians will see that the dataset for the statistical analysis has been split into an ‘urban’ and ‘rural’ population. With clear difficulties in deciding who counts as being part which, it may be useful to think about the wider applicability of uncertainty in such analysis, and possible solutions which are strictly mathematical. PPE applicants should also think about the purely economic slant on the study, with GDP the only metric used.
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >