Recent winner of the T.S. Eliot prize, Sarah Howe, has recently stated that “poetry and science both seek to peer through to the underlying reality of things”, opening up a bigger conversation – are science and poetry mutually exclusive disciplines?
As English applicants may be familiar, Keats would argue ‘yes’. He argued that science could clip an angel’s wings and that Newton has “destroyed the poetry of the rainbow by reducing it to a prism”. English students should consider how poets have drawn from other disciplines in their pursuit of art, notably previous T.S. Eliot prize winner Kate Tempest, who drew on Classical themes in her collection Hold Your Own.
Poetry is also “particularly well placed [. . .] to represent some of these experiential aspects of qualia,” argues poet Helen Mort. Both poetry and science attempt to articulate larger, existential questions about our universe and ourselves, but this articulation merely differs in its execution. While poetry, and art more broadly, questions human existence, it does so through opening conversations rather than necessarily engendering answers.
Stephen Hawking recently collaborated with Howe on a poem for National Poetry Day, on which he commented that “Physicists and poets may differ in discipline, but both seek to communicate the beauty of the world around us.” Scientists and literature students alike should look to see how their pursuits can be influenced and informed by the other, and to explore the beauty in each.
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >