According to the Catholic Church, ‘Nature’s greatest cathedral in the west is being severely damaged’. Every year up to 40,000 people climb Croagh Patrick, a 760m-high mountain in the far west of Ireland as part of a pilgrimage to honour St Patrick, who is said to have made the journey more than 1,500 years ago. Theologians should investigate the purpose of pilgrimages in different religious traditions.
However, the mountain is becoming a victim of its own success, with the heavy footfall eroding previously-safe paths and, according to some members of the local community, slowly eroding the mountain’s distinctive conical shape. Indeed, the ramifications are not just of interest to Geography applicants: singles’ weekends, as well as a ‘bra-chain challenge’ stand in stark contrast to the daybreak mass that takes place, weather permitting. Tourists and casual visitors may well come to outnumber pilgrims.
This raises interesting questions, both social and physical: can heavy footfall significantly alter the geographical composition of a mountain? Our geographers may have an opinion, or they may agree with Liam, a local farmer, who argues that the footfall will lead to an increase in loose rocks, and potentially pose a threat to visitors’ safety. Similarly, theologians may be interested in reflecting upon how we treat religious sites in modern times – is it justified to restrict access? There is also a nuanced legal debate to be had about public ownership of land, as the local council share ownership with 40 local farmers who have commonage rights, and therefore also have a say in how the situation is managed.
The situation at Croagh Patrick is by no means unique to Ireland and reflects a wider trend of ancient sites having to adjust to the demands of modernity, and there seems to be no obvious solution.
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >