According to the Catholic Church, ‘Nature’s greatest cathedral in the west is being severely damaged’. Every year up to 40,000 people climb Croagh Patrick, a 760m-high mountain in the far west of Ireland as part of a pilgrimage to honour St Patrick, who is said to have made the journey more than 1,500 years ago. Theologians should investigate the purpose of pilgrimages in different religious traditions.
However, the mountain is becoming a victim of its own success, with the heavy footfall eroding previously-safe paths and, according to some members of the local community, slowly eroding the mountain’s distinctive conical shape. Indeed, the ramifications are not just of interest to Geography applicants: singles’ weekends, as well as a ‘bra-chain challenge’ stand in stark contrast to the daybreak mass that takes place, weather permitting. Tourists and casual visitors may well come to outnumber pilgrims.
This raises interesting questions, both social and physical: can heavy footfall significantly alter the geographical composition of a mountain? Our geographers may have an opinion, or they may agree with Liam, a local farmer, who argues that the footfall will lead to an increase in loose rocks, and potentially pose a threat to visitors’ safety. Similarly, theologians may be interested in reflecting upon how we treat religious sites in modern times – is it justified to restrict access? There is also a nuanced legal debate to be had about public ownership of land, as the local council share ownership with 40 local farmers who have commonage rights, and therefore also have a say in how the situation is managed.
The situation at Croagh Patrick is by no means unique to Ireland and reflects a wider trend of ancient sites having to adjust to the demands of modernity, and there seems to be no obvious solution.
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >