An estimated 80,000 asylum seekers have entered Italy this year causing increasing tension among Italian natives, who believe migrants are only adding to their country’s economic problems. Such numbers of migrants making the journey from war-torn Libya and other North African and Middle Eastern countries is unlike anything that Italy has experienced in recent times.
This tension overflowed in a recent clash in the wealthy suburb of Casale San Nicola caused by the housing of 19 migrants in an old school building there. Local residents were highly displeased to see their neighbourhood used for such a purpose, and so resorted to violence. A number of police officers were injured in their attempts to quieten the disturbance, in what is an example of a series of outbreaks in the country that some have attributed to increased migration.
Some commentators though, have pointed to the fascist groups they believe are stoking the unrest. Historians should remind themselves of Italy’s troubled past with regard to this ideology. Others highlight that many ordinary Italians have had a more philanthropic response to the crisis, erecting a temporary camp in Rome.
Applicants of Human Sciences and Anthropology and Archaeology should consider these different reactions to immigration and the impact it has on the social life of the receiving countries.
Politics students should find interest in the different policies and actions of countries when dealing with such an influx into their population. Recent events at Calais show that this migration problems are widespread throughout Europe so students should think about short and long term effects this has on the EU.
Economists might also think about the wider backdrop of struggling Eurozone economies, and how this may affect countries’ capacity and appetite to accept migrants.
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >