An estimated 80,000 asylum seekers have entered Italy this year causing increasing tension among Italian natives, who believe migrants are only adding to their country’s economic problems. Such numbers of migrants making the journey from war-torn Libya and other North African and Middle Eastern countries is unlike anything that Italy has experienced in recent times.
This tension overflowed in a recent clash in the wealthy suburb of Casale San Nicola caused by the housing of 19 migrants in an old school building there. Local residents were highly displeased to see their neighbourhood used for such a purpose, and so resorted to violence. A number of police officers were injured in their attempts to quieten the disturbance, in what is an example of a series of outbreaks in the country that some have attributed to increased migration.
Some commentators though, have pointed to the fascist groups they believe are stoking the unrest. Historians should remind themselves of Italy’s troubled past with regard to this ideology. Others highlight that many ordinary Italians have had a more philanthropic response to the crisis, erecting a temporary camp in Rome.
Applicants of Human Sciences and Anthropology and Archaeology should consider these different reactions to immigration and the impact it has on the social life of the receiving countries.
Politics students should find interest in the different policies and actions of countries when dealing with such an influx into their population. Recent events at Calais show that this migration problems are widespread throughout Europe so students should think about short and long term effects this has on the EU.
Economists might also think about the wider backdrop of struggling Eurozone economies, and how this may affect countries’ capacity and appetite to accept migrants.
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >