Last night, the biggest names in documentary film-making got together to celebrate the best of British factual production.
The Grierson Awards have been running for 43 years and have previously championed the likes of David Attenborough, Nick Broomfield, and Banksy for their contributions to film-making. Although the awards are mainly industry facing, they offer a fantastic opportunity to highlight some of the best documentaries of the year.
The big winners this year were Grayson Perry as best presenter, The Romanians are Coming as the best series, and Virunga, a film about protecting the last mountain gorillas in Congo, won best cinema documentary. Other notable winners include Cambridge Alumni, Brian Woods, who was celebrated for his fantastic film “Curing Cancer” and Kim Longinotto who got this year’s lifetime achievement award.
Attentive Oxbridge candidates could mine these films for a wealth of engaging and relevant material to bolster their knowledge ahead of their interviews. Arch and Anth students should look to Kim Longinotto’s breath-taking collaborations with anthropologists for global insight or “The Romanians are Coming” for a contemporary example of multi-cultural Britain. Similarly History, Biology and Medical students could look to films about the First World War, species preservation, and cancer research respectively for inspiration. For the most forward thinking candidates the awards highlight how relevant academic subjects are in contemporary media and perhaps even inspire an amazing career to pursue after their degrees.
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >