A BBC article has addressed the new movement in the Church of England to refer to God as “She” as well as “He”.
This anthropomorphism of God outdates Christianity by many years, and as some Theology applicants will know, Hindus celebrated the female Gods well before the birth of Jesus. The difference in the perception of God and gender varies greatly throughout the world, and HSPS applicants should investigate the trend for God’s ‘maleness’ to align with liturgy in predominantly English-speaking countries.
There are examples in Theological history that outline where God has been described as “mother” and even more commonly, where the Holy spirit is referred to as female. However, since the 1980s there has been an increase in the number of terms that have been used to describe God, particularly in terms of gender. Mary Daly, the famous feminist theologian commented “If God is male, then Male is God”, arguing that giving God a gender inherently assigns value to men above women. Linguistics applicants should explore further on how gendered language impacts upon how different societies perceive men and women.
In the St James Bible, God is referred to with a neutral gender in places, and many churches are moving away from the masculinity of the liturgy describing God to more feminine or neutral descriptions. Theology applicants should consider how this potential change in perception will affect the study of Biblical texts and Christianity itself.
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >