One of the most recognizable landmarks in the world, France’s Eiffel Tower, has recently embraced renewable energy with the installation of two vertical axis wind turbines.
The installation comes as part of the Eiffel Tower’s high profile renovation project, and the turbines are expected to produce 10,000 kWh of electricity annually, which is equivalent to the power used by the tower’s commercial areas on its first floor.
Urban Green Energy, who fitted the turbines, noted that the site for the turbines, 400-feet above the ground, had been chosen strategically to maximize energy production and allow the turbines to take advantage of steady winds. Engineering students can explore the mechanics of vertical axis wind turbines, which are designed to operate in urban areas where winds are less predictable.
The company also claim that the turbines are virtually silent, and have been painted to match the rest of the tower. Students of Architecture and Fine Art should consider the importance of aesthetics when installing such equipment into iconic landmarks.
The chief executive of UGE, Nick Blitterswyk said that he saw the installation as making way for a ‘sustainable future’. HSPS and Human Sciences should consider the responsibility that tourist attractions such as the tower have to promote environmentally friendly projects such as recycling and renewable energy.
Earth Sciences and Geography students can look more into wind power as a source of energy, and the positives and negatives of its use across the world.
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >