One of the most recognizable landmarks in the world, France’s Eiffel Tower, has recently embraced renewable energy with the installation of two vertical axis wind turbines.
The installation comes as part of the Eiffel Tower’s high profile renovation project, and the turbines are expected to produce 10,000 kWh of electricity annually, which is equivalent to the power used by the tower’s commercial areas on its first floor.
Urban Green Energy, who fitted the turbines, noted that the site for the turbines, 400-feet above the ground, had been chosen strategically to maximize energy production and allow the turbines to take advantage of steady winds. Engineering students can explore the mechanics of vertical axis wind turbines, which are designed to operate in urban areas where winds are less predictable.
The company also claim that the turbines are virtually silent, and have been painted to match the rest of the tower. Students of Architecture and Fine Art should consider the importance of aesthetics when installing such equipment into iconic landmarks.
The chief executive of UGE, Nick Blitterswyk said that he saw the installation as making way for a ‘sustainable future’. HSPS and Human Sciences should consider the responsibility that tourist attractions such as the tower have to promote environmentally friendly projects such as recycling and renewable energy.
Earth Sciences and Geography students can look more into wind power as a source of energy, and the positives and negatives of its use across the world.
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >