Seven types of bees native to Hawaii are now officially endangered species in the US.
As of October 31st, bees were under the protection of the Endangered Species Act – the first time bees have made it into the list of US endangered species. As Biological Sciences applicants may be familiar, bees are responsible for pollinating commercial fruit and vegetables across the UK, responsible for around $30 billion each year.
This news follows action from the White House in previous months, where the administration released the National Strategy to Promote the Health of Honey Bees and Other Pollinators. This strategy plan aimed to combat the dwindling populations of bees – from 5 million in the late 1940s to 2.7 million today.
Geography applicants should consider the benefit that bees bring in pollinating crops and their use in commercial agriculture, while Economics applicants should consider how preservation and protection of natural resources should be balanced with productive, economic output.
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >