Last week, Ghana became embroiled in a scandal regarding their election practices.
Ghana is widely acknowledged as one of Africa’s leading countries in terms of its democratic practices, but recently, the police chief of Ghana announced that social media would be shut down on voting day in November, between 5am to 7pm.
The ban is said to “ensure social media are not used to send misleading information” that could destabilise the country by allowing for the proliferation of false information. Ghana is not alone in this practice, as Ethiopia, Congo, Chad, Uganda and other African countries have shut down social media on election days without warning to users.
A similar crackdown occurred in Uganda, on an election day in February – with networks brought down, many users turned to virtual private networks (VPN) to circumnavigate the ban. Computer Science applicants should consider how the use of VPNs has spread throughout the world and what threat the possibility of overcoming these networks poses to the privacy and freedom of internet users.
HSPS applicants should consider the role of social media in determining elections in recent years, particularly in African countries which tweet more about politics than accounts in any other continent. In light of this, the takedown of social media in Ghana’s election should be considered seriously as a threat to the democratic process for many Ghanaians.
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >