Spanish MPs have called for the state broadcaster RTVE, to ensure children’s programmes are scheduled to finish no later than 11pm after a weeknight MasterChef Junior had 3 million young viewers until after 1am. This has raised questions around the Spanish relationship with sleep and time as a whole.
Spaniards are thought to sleep an average of 53 minutes less than the rest of Europe. 11 hour work days are typical and with dinner around 9pm, it is thought usual to stay awake until midnight. In December 2016, Spain’s employment minister called to shorten the working day to 9am-6pm in a push to improve the work-life balance.
Another major contributor to this lack of sleep is thought to be the time-zone in which Spain sits. Quite interestingly, Madrid lies directly south of London yet sits in a different time zone. The change to Central European Time (CET) was a Franco-era decision to show allegiance to Hitler’s Germany. Moves have been made to push the Spanish time zone back in line with Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) hoping this will prove more practical.
Similarly, debate continues around the use of daylight saving time in the UK and the single time zones of China and India, where their land mass and sunlight timings differ from their eastern-most and western-most provinces.
HSPS, PPE and Geography students may want to debate the imposition of time zones globally and how they are decided. History students may find is interesting to track any changes of time-zones and the reasons why.
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >