Photographer Alessio Paduano was ready to capture the rescue of a man crossing the Mediterranean Sea from Libya to Europe, after receiving a distressed call from a boat off the coast of Tripoli. Paduano recounts the screams he heard coming from all around the ocean, as people desperately tried to stay afloat. The man who is the subject of Paduano’s powerful photo could barely keep his head above the surface, water interrupting his breaths, the sound of which remained with Paduano after the dramatic event. As a photojournalist, Paduano is required to remain witness to the scenes, regardless of the outcome, often going against his natural human reaction. Fortunately, the man was pulled to safety by the crew of Sea-Watch 3.
This image is one of many iconic photographs of events throughout the world. Other famous moments captured by the camera are the Dust Lady of 9/11, the Syrian child who was found dead on a Turkish beach during the migrant crisis of 2015 and Tank Man who has come to symbolise the events of Tiananmen Square in 1989. These images capture moments of hallmark events, providing a timeline of social history and are relatable to people globally, transcending language barriers.
Other photographers have struggled with their role as observer such as Kevin Carter, who famously committed suicide when he won the Pulitzer Prize in 1993 for the guilt of not intervening when he took the picture simply called ‘The Vulture and the Little Girl’.
Humanities students, particularly English, History and Politics, should think about the power of the image to evoke and persuade. Whether it’s symbolising an event or for propaganda purposes, one should consider the role of the image for different purposes. English students should ponder the relationship between the image and the text, in journalism, in advertising and similar fields.
- Oxbridge: the global impact Concerning UK university admissions, UCAS have released some interesting stats.... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >