The fire at the old headquarters of Littlewoods served as a fitting visual to the slow downturn in the prosperity of department stores and there physical premises. Homebase recently announced the planned closure of 42 stores putting around 1,500 jobs at risk. This comes amid a climate where Marks and Spencer (whose share price has dropped 6% in the last year) and House of Fraser have also been forced into store closures and can be placed within a broader picture of the closing of British Home Stores and Woolworths.
Their recession is predominantly down to the changing of consumer habits and its impact goes well beyond the financial stability of the department store to affect whole town centres. Architects have indeed been inspired by the pulling power of department stores in their designing of shopping centres – John Lewis is the linchpin in Birmingham’s Bull Ring and Manchester’s Trafford centre. These stores bring an increase in footfall that attracts local business. Applicants for Economics and Land Economy should consider the impact that the receding of physical department stores will have on local economy.
The rise of online retailers that fulfil the same role as department stores has led to the restructuring of department stores to put much greater emphasis on their online presence. This can in part be put down to the same behavioural activity that made department stores successful, browsing. Applicants for Psychology can question whether online retailers are able to provide a comparative shopping experience for the consumer that will lead to an equal or greater level of purchase.
The owners of Homebase, the Australian corporation Wesfarmers, recently sold the company to Hilco for £1. This is an enormous loss on their purchasing of the company in 2016 for £340 million. This can in part be put down to their attempt to rebrand the company on structure of their successful chain, in Australia, Brunnings. Was there failure due to not considering the habits of British shoppers compared to their Australian counterparts? Is the local nature of department stores to blame for their being usurped by international companies like Amazon?
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >