A recent study conducted at the University of Zurich has demonstrated that Lysergic acid diethylamide, commonly known as LSD or acid, can have a significant effect on a person’s sense of self. Participants were given 100 micrograms of the drug and were observed in simulated interactions with computer avatars. It was found that LSD compromises the brain’s concept of “integrated self”, blurring the boundary between ourselves and others. This phenomenon is thought to lie behind some LSD users’ accounts of feeling completely at one with the universe.
Through this discovery, scientists hope to unearth new treatments for conditions that affect a person’s sense of self, such as depression, borderline personality disorder, and schizophrenia. According to Katrin Preller, a psychologist who worked on the study, such treatments would constitute a breakthrough in psychiatric Medicine, since “we don’t currently have any medications that work to improve the social deficits in psychiatric disorders”; in fact, scientists actually have very little understanding of how social interactions work in the brain.
Applicants for Medicine and Psychology should think about what these discoveries might mean for the future treatment of psychiatric disorders, how a reduced sense of self could positively or negatively affect the lives of those struggling with mental health issues, and how clinical trials could be conducted to test the efficacy of LSD as a treatment for these disorders.
Those wishing to study Philosophy might want to consider the effect of mind-altering drugs on the human consciousness from a more abstract and speculative perspective, thinking about the implications of these discoveries for the idea of the ‘ego’ and human nature. For Theology applicants, William James’ The Varieties of Religious Experience is a seminal text on the theory of religious experiences, conversion, and mysticism, and includes sections on the role of drugs in experiences of detachment from the self and communion with the divine.
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >