The critically acclaimed movie of 2013 “Blackfish” sought to highlight the real conditions behind the infamous SeaWorld killer whale displays across America, and indeed around the world. The movie exposed dark truths around the real nature of the Orca, which, incidentally, literally translates as Whale killer, not Killer whale. The backlash for SeaWorld has been huge and the 11 parks across the country have suffered huge losses and falling visitor numbers. Even One Direction’s Harry Styles urged concertgoers to boycott the parks.
The Today programme hosted Chris Butler-Stroud to say that these rules weren’t enough. Finally though, this week SeaWorld has announced its plan to phase out killer whale displays, the first of the parks to do this will be San Diego, and the last show will be in 2017.
Economics applicants may wish to look at how a film could make such a giant institution halve its share price in just two years. Geography applicants could take time to understand the impact of releasing these animals, and indeed how breeding will have affected the well being of these animals, as well as the human element behind these parks existing.
Politics or PPE applicants may want to examine the involvement of the US government here and whether responses have been harsh or swift enough. Biology applicants could take a look at how marine wildlife is affected by the removal of these animals from their natural habitat, or indeed how captivity forced the whales into harming their respective trainers.
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >