The critically acclaimed movie of 2013 “Blackfish” sought to highlight the real conditions behind the infamous SeaWorld killer whale displays across America, and indeed around the world. The movie exposed dark truths around the real nature of the Orca, which, incidentally, literally translates as Whale killer, not Killer whale. The backlash for SeaWorld has been huge and the 11 parks across the country have suffered huge losses and falling visitor numbers. Even One Direction’s Harry Styles urged concertgoers to boycott the parks.
The Today programme hosted Chris Butler-Stroud to say that these rules weren’t enough. Finally though, this week SeaWorld has announced its plan to phase out killer whale displays, the first of the parks to do this will be San Diego, and the last show will be in 2017.
Economics applicants may wish to look at how a film could make such a giant institution halve its share price in just two years. Geography applicants could take time to understand the impact of releasing these animals, and indeed how breeding will have affected the well being of these animals, as well as the human element behind these parks existing.
Politics or PPE applicants may want to examine the involvement of the US government here and whether responses have been harsh or swift enough. Biology applicants could take a look at how marine wildlife is affected by the removal of these animals from their natural habitat, or indeed how captivity forced the whales into harming their respective trainers.
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Oxbridge: the global impact Concerning UK university admissions, UCAS have released some interesting stats.... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >