The need for better historical preservation has never been more evident – archaeological sites are constantly threatened by nature and human activity alike. The Roman city of Pompeii, buried in 79AD by a volcanic eruption, has been an invaluable source of information but is at constant risk of damage from exposure to the thousands of tourists that routinely visit, and the increasing fragility of its contents. Conservation is difficult due to the expense, its size and its relative age – after all, Pompeii has been uncovered in our time for longer than it was ever lived in by the Romans!
It’s not just Pompeii either: archaeology faces major threats from geological and human forces – in 2016 an earthquake hit the city of Bagan in Myanmar, damaging hundreds of temples and the chilling events in Syria have seen the destruction of many temples in Palmyra. However, what if there was a way to “save” these sites exactly as they are so historians of the future can access them, no matter what their condition then?
“Saving” history is exactly what CyArk and others are setting out to do.
Using advanced laser scanning and photogrammetry CyArk is creating detailed digital 3D models of key archaeological sites to preserve them in their current conditions, and Google Arts & Culture is providing open access online. This isn’t the first time this type of technology has been used publicly: last year’s BBC programme Italy’s Invisible Cities made detailed scans of Naples, Florence and Venice available online too.
There’s no doubt these are exciting developments for preservation – archaeologists have already been able to use these scans to track any degradation of key sites. The hope is, used in conjunction with traditional methods, this will help preserve our history for our future.
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >