The need for better historical preservation has never been more evident – archaeological sites are constantly threatened by nature and human activity alike. The Roman city of Pompeii, buried in 79AD by a volcanic eruption, has been an invaluable source of information but is at constant risk of damage from exposure to the thousands of tourists that routinely visit, and the increasing fragility of its contents. Conservation is difficult due to the expense, its size and its relative age – after all, Pompeii has been uncovered in our time for longer than it was ever lived in by the Romans!
It’s not just Pompeii either: archaeology faces major threats from geological and human forces – in 2016 an earthquake hit the city of Bagan in Myanmar, damaging hundreds of temples and the chilling events in Syria have seen the destruction of many temples in Palmyra. However, what if there was a way to “save” these sites exactly as they are so historians of the future can access them, no matter what their condition then?
“Saving” history is exactly what CyArk and others are setting out to do.
Using advanced laser scanning and photogrammetry CyArk is creating detailed digital 3D models of key archaeological sites to preserve them in their current conditions, and Google Arts & Culture is providing open access online. This isn’t the first time this type of technology has been used publicly: last year’s BBC programme Italy’s Invisible Cities made detailed scans of Naples, Florence and Venice available online too.
There’s no doubt these are exciting developments for preservation – archaeologists have already been able to use these scans to track any degradation of key sites. The hope is, used in conjunction with traditional methods, this will help preserve our history for our future.
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >