At this time of year one would expect Father Christmas to be in the North Pole preparing for his busy season, but in fact it seems that he is resting in Turkey.
Archaeologists have ruined the festive dreams of many children by identifying that the ancient remains of Saint Nicholas might be Antalya, a Turkish coastal town, believed to be the saint’s birthplace. The charitable saint known for his gift-giving and generosity, inspired the legend of Santa Claus, popularised by Dutch immigrants to the colonies.
Geophysical surveys have uncovered an intact temple and burial grounds below St Nicholas Church in the south of the country. The remains are thought to be contained in this shrine, discovered beneath the ancient floor of the 11th Century church, however scientists have struggled to gain access. The floor of the church has had to be skilfully removed tile-by-tile to avoid damage, and the temple itself is also walled-in by mosaics which now need to be carefully lifted. The temple is thought to have suffered some earthquake damage, but further excavation is needed to discover the full extent.
Originally the remains of the saint were thought to be in Basilica di San Nicola in Bari, Italy – stolen by merchant sailors as the Byzantine Empire fell. However, findings have shown that this body is, in fact, that of an anonymous priest.
Future Historians should use this ‘Keeping You Current’ article to examine the impact of new discoveries on our notion of the past. Theology and Religion applicants could examine how historical finds impact on concepts of religion and legend.
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >