A paper published in the Journal of Zoology have found an unlikely way of reproducing for salamanders – where women are the only gender cloning themselves over and over again.
As Biology students will be aware, asexual reproduction via cloning is an effective way to create large numbers of one species in a short amount of time, but does not bode well for the long-term prospects of a species.
Robert Denton, the co-author of the paper, sums this problem up by saying that “if you don’t have sex, you don’t stick around very long over millions of year because you don’t get the genetic variation”, which helps species to survive as some members will be susceptible to some diseases or climatic changes, while others will not, ensuring the survival of some rather than an entire extinction.
The species of salamander is the ambystoma salamander, which resides in North American from Ohio to Quebec. However, their method of reproduction isn’t simple asexual, single-gendered reproduction, but involves the ‘theft’ of male gametes to reproduce. The reproductive strategy is known as ‘kleptogenesis’, whereby male salamanders deposit sperm packets which female salamanders pick up and use to lay eggs.
Denton goes on to say that “these animals are such an exception to the rule for how we understand vertebrate reproduction, so every piece to the puzzle is interesting.” Human Sciences applicants should consider this story in the light of human evolution, and think on how sexual reproduction and sexual dimorphism aided the evolution of the modern human.
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >