The Mary Rose Museum in Portsmouth is well under way a year-long project to more carefully the ‘Mary Rose’ – one of the most important boats during the era of King Henry VIII. The crew of over 400 is also being carefully analysed and it’s amazing to see that DNA testing is showing that the crew on board were from a diverse range of ethnicities.
One of the crew members studied was found to have both mitochondrial and nuclear DNA that was typical of people from North Africa or Southern Europe. Another team member who was known as the ‘Archer Royal’ was reported to have DNA that is typical of people who live in the North African mainland.
Currently 92 members have been analysed and researchers are optimistic that the rest of the crew will continue to unravel this amazing part of history that is otherwise portrayed in a ‘whitewashed’ way. Contrary to popular belief, multiculturalism and racial diversity were also a part of Tudor England with Black people working as sailors, merchants and musicians.
It’s very important as historians to look critically about how history is presented and to think about in a contemporary political context, which voices are likely to be erased from the narrative. A scientific approach to history, such as in the case of the Mary Rose, highlights that the reality may sometimes be very different to its portrayal.
Historians looking to put a unique spin on their personal statement would do well to delve deeper into this theme to show critical thinking, great source work and strong research skills.
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >