Following its three-month tour of Brazilian cities, the Olympic torch has come to Rio. Far from a smooth transit through the city center, the torch was met by hundreds of protestors who have been demonstrating to highlight the negative social impact of the Games.
Back in 2009, Rio was promised a grand infrastructural overhaul and more attention paid towards urban development in the run up to the 2016 Games. However, measures aimed at ‘beautifying’ the city for the Games and its international attendees have arguably had very little positive impact on some of Rio’s poorest and most disenfranchised residents.
The Rio state government have insisted that the regeneration of the city will create a welcoming environment for more than half a million tourists who will be arriving in the city for the opening ceremony on Friday. Many critics, on the other hand, have directed attention towards the millions of Rio residents who have not seen any improvements as a result of the £11.3 billion being spent on the Olympic Games. With increased tension in the city and the quashing of protests by the state government’s security forces, the Games at Rio is causing divides amongst both locals and international onlookers. HSPS and PPE applicants should consider the impact of development policies on different demographics, and in particular what development in practice might mean for different people.
Archeology and Anthropology and HSPS students might consider questions such as ‘Rio is a better place for whom?’, and ‘what role does “protest” play in national politics?’.
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >