The British-Lebanese mathematician Sir Michael Atiyah spoke at the Heidelberg Laureate Forum on 24th September. In a 45 minute talk he claimed to have found a “simple proof” to the Riemann hypothesis, a problem that has remained unsolved since 1859. Correct proof to support the hypothesis, labelled by the Clay Mathematics Institute as one of the seven “Millenium Prize Problems”, could have huge implications for the majority of modern day cryptography, including cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin.
The hypothesis concerns prime numbers and the ability to find the number of primes smaller than any given integer, N. The hypothesis relies on the Riemann zeta function and its return of zero. It is known that zero is returned when a negative integer is used in the function, these are known as trivial zeros. This is also the case with any complex number whose real part is ½, known as non-trivial zeros. The non-trivial zeros have varying imaginary units but consistent ½ values, allowing for their calculation.
However, the continuing problem is the lack of proof that complex numbers with a ½ real value are the only form of non-trivial zeros. Until now this has been assumed to be true and has provided the basis for modern cryptography. This is due to the property of prime numbers where calculating the product of two primes is simple but finding the two primes used when the only information given is the result is very difficult. This allows for one-way functions that cannot be easily inversed by those that are not the intended recipient.
But proof of the hypothesis may lead to a connection being observed between prime numbers and this could be exploited to counteract contemporary forms of coding. This could lead to hash algorithms being easily hacked and bitcoin being mined at an exponentially faster rate.
Atiyah’s claim of proof is currently met with scepticism but if correct his work could have an enormous impact. Computer Science and Mathematics applicants can develop their understanding of the Riemann hypothesis and its underpinning of cryptography and its other applications.
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >