Grieving can be a difficult emotional time. Parting with someone that you are close with can take its toll on anyone. However, new technological start-ups are starting to think about ways in which they can help with this transition.
Charlie Brooker, creator of the popular, dark, often satirical drama ‘Black Mirror’, has eerily predicted lots of popular trends. From David Cameron’s porcine PR nightmare, to rating people out of 5 stars, affecting their quality of life (see Uber ratings!). Despite this, the episode ‘Be Right Back’, may have again correctly predicted the new trend on technology start-ups trying to deal with death.
Eternime, a new technology start-up, will try to match your online footprint with artificial intelligence in order to create a digital version of yourself after you have died. This means your digital self could post a throwback selfie on Instagram, join in on a political discussion on Facebook, even tweet you using their favourite hashtags.
There are other ways in which a digital afterlife can be more accurate. Voicemails, photos and other information can be used to (pardon the pun) flesh out the experience. Eter9 had this idea in 2014, granting an ‘eternity for free’, predicting your online response, and posting as yourself both whilst you are alive, and after you are deceased. Mr Jorge, the software developer who launched the product, states ‘the interaction will be progressively more effective, taking into account the acquired information and its ‘experience’, and also the interaction between the physical part and the virtual connections’.
Previous iterations of this idea haven’t been that successful. ‘Virtual Eternity’ promised the same experience, however shut down after two years as only 10,000 people signed up. Perhaps we aren’t ready for this kind of technological step. Would you want immortality in cyberspace?
Psychology and Computer Science students may want to think about whether people accurately represent their true selves online, and what really defines the human existence.
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >