There are now over twice as many middle-aged people renting than in 2008. Rising house prices in a stalling economy means that home ownership is becoming unrealistic for more and more people, with it being estimated that a third of millennials will rent for their whole lives.
As of yet the laws surrounding tenancies and tenants’ rights have not caught up with the increasing in renting within our society. The two areas that are most lacking are evictions and landlord maintenance responsibilities.
Section 21 of the UK Housing Act 1988 states that tenants can be evicted without reason. This is in fact a breach of international law and does not meet the standards set by other countries, such as Scotland and Germany. In Scotland courts are able to distinguish between ‘mandatory’ and ‘discretionary’ grounds of eviction and in discretionary cases the landlord must justify their case for repossession to be mandated.
This problem feeds into the issue of homelessness caused by the ending of private sector tenancies. It is the largest contributor to homelessness in England with 92% of London’s homeless population driven into it via this route. No fault evictions must be addressed to help tackle this issue.
The other area of shortfall is in regards to maintenance as the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 states that landlords must deal with ‘disrepair’ but only for structural issues. This means that other indicators of poor housing, such as damp, mould or asbestos, do not legally need to be dealt with by the landlord. As a result of this, 27% of private sector rental properties fail the decent home standard due to at least one indicator of poor housing.
Applicants for Law can consider how they might interpret these laws when dealing with cases. Land Economy students can study the rise in house prices and how it is greater than economic growth.
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- UKCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >