In October 2017, Sergey Zheleznyak of Russia’s State Duma Committee on International Affairs spoke of “linguistic genocide”. This was in reference to the Latvian government’s ruling to make Latvian the sole language of education within the country. Zheleznyak saw this forcing of minorities into a national language as a breach of the “Europeans legal framework”, despite this exact process being currently enacted by his own government.
Last July, Putin spoke at the Council of Interethnic Relations in Mari El. He stated his view that the Russian language “cannot be replaced with anything” and that no child should be forced to learn a language that is not native to them. This supported the Kremlin’s abolishment of compulsory teaching of minority languages in ‘ethnic republics’. This is part of a wider movement towards cultural homogenisation as Putin attempts to move away from the reasonably steady multiculturalism of the past twenty years.
Political support of minority identity has been put under pressure, such as checks that took place in Bashkortostan and Tatarstan that led to mass teacher firings making the topic highly politically sensitive. Protests have followed but stringent laws on public protest have led to dissent moving online.
The Democratic Congress of the Peoples of Russia has been formed to promote multiculturalism and federalism and the #StopLanguageGenocide has trended on Russian social media. Online resistance has spread amongst a large part of the population and across different republics.
Linguistics applicants can discover the differences between the local dialects of Russia and their role within their distinct cultures. HSPS students can find more examples of resistance to cultural homogenisation.
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >