Facebook is introducing four-month parental leave for all employees, regardless of gender.
Days after CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced that he would be taking two months of leave following the birth of his first child, Facebook committed itself to the longer period of four months. The extension will mostly affect new fathers and people in same-sex relationships, as the four month option was previously open to a proportion of female employees and senior-level executives.
Paternity leave has become a more pressing issue in corporate culture – Spotify have topped Facebook by offering staff up to six months’ parental leave with 100% pay, to recognise the importance of a “healthy work-family balance.” As Lawyers will be aware, the current legal requirements on UK companies is that parents in the UK can have up to 50 weeks shared leave, but only 39 will be paid.
Spotify in particular claim that this is based on their Swedish-founded and inspired culture. HSPS applicants should consider how we have a generic concept of Swedish culture as egalitarian and tolerant, and whether this is codified in their laws as well.
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >