The Guardian have recently analysed the number of male and female performers at 12 UK festivals to discover the drastic difference between the two as men account for 86% of all performers.
This research was taken out as a result of the recent news that Florence and the Machine would replace Foo Fighters to headline the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury, making lead singer Florence Welch the only woman to headline since 1999. Across all 12 festivals, this means that 2,336 men will be performing, alongside only 270 women.
Reading and Leeds Festival promoter Melvin Benn, in response to the statistics, said “we don’t have a problem. We put on bands that people want to buy tickets to watch – so it’s the public that makes the decision about what bands play at festivals.” Economics applicants should consider the accuracy of this statement, and whether consumer goods available always reflect consumer needs. Applicants should think about this statement particularly in light of the knowledge that of the top selling acts across the world in the last five years, three were women – a much higher percentage than the 10 or so percent that are represented at festivals let alone at the top of the bill.
In Glastonbury in 2009, Lady Gaga was the year’s biggest-selling female artist and yet played an early evening set on a secondary stage, and Lana Del Rey had the world’s fifth biggest selling album in 2012 and played at 4pm, rather than the more coveted evening sets. So why does this happen? PPE applicants should read the Oxford Economics study Wish You Were Here, which reveals that music tourism has increased by a third in the past three years, and consider why festival line-ups haven’t changed their gender proportion in line with increased tourism and increase popularity of women in the charts.
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- Oxbridge: the global impact Concerning UK university admissions, UCAS have released some interesting stats.... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >