The Oxford English Dictionary has recently recognised a number of new words. These words range from everyday slang, such as ‘awesomesauce’ (meaning extremely good, or excellent) to slang with a more political resonance (‘Brexit’ and ‘Grexit’, referring to Britain’s hypothetical exit from the EU and Greek’s potential exit from the Eurozone respectively) to a new title ‘Mx’ which can be used instead of ‘Mr’ or ‘Ms’ to avoid specifying gender.
Some have suggested that the increase of slang words in the dictionary demonstrates a ‘dumbing down’ of our language. However, students of Languages and Linguistics should consider Fiona McPherson’s, senior editor of Oxford Dictionaries, belief that it shows more creative ways that people are using language.
Words can be added to the Oxford Dictionary online if editors are certain of their widespread use in English. However, they only make it into the Oxford English Dictionary if continued historical use is shown. History applicants could consider the way in which language has changed historically, and words and phrases that have demonstrated such historical use. HSPS students could consider how modern society and the widespread use of internet may mean that slang is more prominent and widespread, and also the significance of the introduction of more gender neutral words.
Students wanting to apply for PPE should consider the power of language as a political tool, but also as a means of satirising politics and how this effects our perception of political figures and situations.
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >