The Oxford English Dictionary has recently recognised a number of new words. These words range from everyday slang, such as ‘awesomesauce’ (meaning extremely good, or excellent) to slang with a more political resonance (‘Brexit’ and ‘Grexit’, referring to Britain’s hypothetical exit from the EU and Greek’s potential exit from the Eurozone respectively) to a new title ‘Mx’ which can be used instead of ‘Mr’ or ‘Ms’ to avoid specifying gender.
Some have suggested that the increase of slang words in the dictionary demonstrates a ‘dumbing down’ of our language. However, students of Languages and Linguistics should consider Fiona McPherson’s, senior editor of Oxford Dictionaries, belief that it shows more creative ways that people are using language.
Words can be added to the Oxford Dictionary online if editors are certain of their widespread use in English. However, they only make it into the Oxford English Dictionary if continued historical use is shown. History applicants could consider the way in which language has changed historically, and words and phrases that have demonstrated such historical use. HSPS students could consider how modern society and the widespread use of internet may mean that slang is more prominent and widespread, and also the significance of the introduction of more gender neutral words.
Students wanting to apply for PPE should consider the power of language as a political tool, but also as a means of satirising politics and how this effects our perception of political figures and situations.
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >