Becoming an astronaut has never been so popular. Whether this is due in part to the continued hype surrounding commercial flights into space, or the recent press coverage of Tim Peake’s 6 month expedition on the International Space station, 2016 has seen an exponential rise in applications to NASA.
This year, 18,300 would-be cosmonauts are currently battling for a mere 14 places on NASA’s forthcoming astronaut class: a 300% rise in applications, compared with the last round, back in 2012. Never mind the gruelling physical selection test required by NASA, going into space is certainly not for the faint-hearted. Not to mention the psychological consequences of continued living in an environment far removed from the circadian rhythms of planet earth, prolonged periods of time in microgravity can led to numerous physiological conditions. In the past, astronauts on extended expeditions have suffered bone loss, muscle atrophy and changes to cardiovascular function. Furthermore, exposure to space radiation from heavy ions can pose longer-term risks such as cataracts and cancer.
Such risks though are certainly not deterring a new generation of space travellers from reaching for the stars. There is even a Tim Peake Primary Project. How to mitigate the risks of space travel and researching new ways of coping in space should certainly be at the front of every budding astronaut’s mind.
Engineering, Physics and Physical Natural Science graduates should all follow Tim Peak’s expedition with keen intrigue.
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- UKCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >