Becoming an astronaut has never been so popular. Whether this is due in part to the continued hype surrounding commercial flights into space, or the recent press coverage of Tim Peake’s 6 month expedition on the International Space station, 2016 has seen an exponential rise in applications to NASA.
This year, 18,300 would-be cosmonauts are currently battling for a mere 14 places on NASA’s forthcoming astronaut class: a 300% rise in applications, compared with the last round, back in 2012. Never mind the gruelling physical selection test required by NASA, going into space is certainly not for the faint-hearted. Not to mention the psychological consequences of continued living in an environment far removed from the circadian rhythms of planet earth, prolonged periods of time in microgravity can led to numerous physiological conditions. In the past, astronauts on extended expeditions have suffered bone loss, muscle atrophy and changes to cardiovascular function. Furthermore, exposure to space radiation from heavy ions can pose longer-term risks such as cataracts and cancer.
Such risks though are certainly not deterring a new generation of space travellers from reaching for the stars. There is even a Tim Peake Primary Project. How to mitigate the risks of space travel and researching new ways of coping in space should certainly be at the front of every budding astronaut’s mind.
Engineering, Physics and Physical Natural Science graduates should all follow Tim Peak’s expedition with keen intrigue.
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- Oxbridge: the global impact Concerning UK university admissions, UCAS have released some interesting stats.... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >