A new report from the World Economic Forum has revealed that due to the disposal of so much non-biodegradable materials into the ocean, plastic will account for more volume than fish.
This startling estimate is drawn from a trend of increasing disposal of non-recyclable materials into the ocean. Currently, 150 million tonnes of plastic is estimated to be in the ocean with a rapid rate of growth of 4.8% per year while the fish population remains stagnant. Biological Sciences applicants should consider the ways in which habitat degradation is different for sea and land-based animals and at which rates each is occurring.
Notably, the plastic comes predominantly from Asia, with China, the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam accounting for 60% of all plastic in global waters. These countries do not have formal recycling policies and instead recycle through “waste pickers” – people who search rubbish piles to find reusable items to sell for cash. Geography applicants should consider how formalised recycling policies on individual-levels impact carbon footprints, versus countries who have informal systems such as those mentioned above.
These ‘waste pickers’ are informal labourers who mitigate the rubbish output of these countries and are one form of incentivised recycling. HSPS applicants should think about the relationship between monetarily incentivised recycling and morally incentivised recycling, particularly Germany’s pfandflaschenautomat system in contrast to duty-based Anglo-American systems.
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >