William Taylor of the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History has recently carried out research on the impressive horse burial sites of the Deer Stone-Khirigsuur Culture (ca. 1300-700 BC). Examination of skeletal remains from horse burials showed the oldest known examples of veterinary dental practice.
This study forms part of wider examination into a people from eastern Eurasia that are the first known communities to rely on horses for livestock and food products. They are also thought to be the first to mount ride horses. It was the mounting of horses that led to nomadic lifestyle and the development of a horse-based pastoral economy. These advancements led to the horses becoming a valuable commodity resulting in increased equine veterinary care.
The dental care identified is shown to be temporally linked to the development of horse control. Herders and riders used, as they do today, metal and bronze mouthpieces for bridles. These allowed for nuanced control but with this came regular contact with the vestigial tooth known as a “wolf tooth”. This interaction would have caused pain and even prevented young horses from feeding, leading to other health complications. This potentially serious issue led to the removal of these teeth and Taylor has drawn a contemporary parallel stating “herders in Mongolia today practice relatively sophisticated procedures using very simple equipment”. In fact the methods of extraction used are considered to be very similar to modern Western forms of veterinary dental extraction.
These findings come centuries before the sedentary civilizations of China and the Mediterranean and riding aided the movements of these people of the 1st millennium BCE, which shaped the cultural and biological landscapes of Eurasia.
Veterinary Medicine applicants can research the current methods of dental care and the development on pain management at the point of care. Human Sciences applicants may wish to consider the ways in which the evidence of burial sites can be interpreted and what importance these findings have in our understanding of ancient civilisations.
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >