William Taylor of the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History has recently carried out research on the impressive horse burial sites of the Deer Stone-Khirigsuur Culture (ca. 1300-700 BC). Examination of skeletal remains from horse burials showed the oldest known examples of veterinary dental practice.
This study forms part of wider examination into a people from eastern Eurasia that are the first known communities to rely on horses for livestock and food products. They are also thought to be the first to mount ride horses. It was the mounting of horses that led to nomadic lifestyle and the development of a horse-based pastoral economy. These advancements led to the horses becoming a valuable commodity resulting in increased equine veterinary care.
The dental care identified is shown to be temporally linked to the development of horse control. Herders and riders used, as they do today, metal and bronze mouthpieces for bridles. These allowed for nuanced control but with this came regular contact with the vestigial tooth known as a “wolf tooth”. This interaction would have caused pain and even prevented young horses from feeding, leading to other health complications. This potentially serious issue led to the removal of these teeth and Taylor has drawn a contemporary parallel stating “herders in Mongolia today practice relatively sophisticated procedures using very simple equipment”. In fact the methods of extraction used are considered to be very similar to modern Western forms of veterinary dental extraction.
These findings come centuries before the sedentary civilizations of China and the Mediterranean and riding aided the movements of these people of the 1st millennium BCE, which shaped the cultural and biological landscapes of Eurasia.
Veterinary Medicine applicants can research the current methods of dental care and the development on pain management at the point of care. Human Sciences applicants may wish to consider the ways in which the evidence of burial sites can be interpreted and what importance these findings have in our understanding of ancient civilisations.
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >