William Taylor of the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History has recently carried out research on the impressive horse burial sites of the Deer Stone-Khirigsuur Culture (ca. 1300-700 BC). Examination of skeletal remains from horse burials showed the oldest known examples of veterinary dental practice.
This study forms part of wider examination into a people from eastern Eurasia that are the first known communities to rely on horses for livestock and food products. They are also thought to be the first to mount ride horses. It was the mounting of horses that led to nomadic lifestyle and the development of a horse-based pastoral economy. These advancements led to the horses becoming a valuable commodity resulting in increased equine veterinary care.
The dental care identified is shown to be temporally linked to the development of horse control. Herders and riders used, as they do today, metal and bronze mouthpieces for bridles. These allowed for nuanced control but with this came regular contact with the vestigial tooth known as a “wolf tooth”. This interaction would have caused pain and even prevented young horses from feeding, leading to other health complications. This potentially serious issue led to the removal of these teeth and Taylor has drawn a contemporary parallel stating “herders in Mongolia today practice relatively sophisticated procedures using very simple equipment”. In fact the methods of extraction used are considered to be very similar to modern Western forms of veterinary dental extraction.
These findings come centuries before the sedentary civilizations of China and the Mediterranean and riding aided the movements of these people of the 1st millennium BCE, which shaped the cultural and biological landscapes of Eurasia.
Veterinary Medicine applicants can research the current methods of dental care and the development on pain management at the point of care. Human Sciences applicants may wish to consider the ways in which the evidence of burial sites can be interpreted and what importance these findings have in our understanding of ancient civilisations.
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >