Controversy has hit the UK as Prime Minister Theresa May has refused to debate Jeremy Corbyn and other political party leaders on the BBC. In her place she sent Home Secretary Amber Rudd to fend off interrogations on her behalf. This is the paramount decision in a string of strictly monitored appearances that have characterized May’s campaign trail this year. But why is debate considered so central to political campaigning? Who gains from public facing political debate and why?
To understand why debate is so crucial to our political system, we must interrogate the meaning of ‘democracy’. The idea of democracy rests on the reasoning that we must cultivate transparency, openness and accountability. Of course, political parties are not obliged to attend every public appearance, however this definition of democracy seems to contradict May’s hesitancy in participating in crucial events of the General Election campaign such as the BBC debate.
Students who wish to study HSPS may question if debate is a useful tool to harness these central values. And to what extent the media acts as a medium to help or hinder democracy. Does the media act as an honourable tool to keep politicians accountable? Or does the media’s biased views and inflammatory language allow politicians to hide policies within emotional voting patterns?
Students looking to apply for Psychology may question the role of visual debates in swaying voter’s party alliances. They could look at how politicians are trained to influence us through public appearances. They could also consider how our own personal allegiances affect how we view the debate.
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Oxbridge: the global impact Concerning UK university admissions, UCAS have released some interesting stats.... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >