This summer, US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will preside over a mock trial between The Merchant of Venice’s Shylock and Antonio.
For the price of $2,500, theatre-goers have access to four VIP tickets to see the production, guided museum tours, and one seat at the mock trial. The news comes as part of a wave of Shakespeare-related productions coming to the fore to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death.
English students should think about how the law is used as a plot device in Shakespeare’s plays, such as how Angelo’s enforcement of new laws in Measure For Measure sets Claudio’s execution into motion. Considering three of Shakespeare’s plays which stage trials (Richard II, Measure For Measure and The Merchant Of Venice), History students should consider how reflective the trials are of Tudor law which was enacted at the time.
Law students should consider the role of Supreme Court Justices relative to other legal positions. Due to the selectivity and visibility of Supreme Court Justices, it isn’t uncommon for them to make talk show appearances or, in this case, appear in a theatre production. Lawyers should consider how the fame and scrutiny of Justices impacts their role as a judge.
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >