When Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow named their baby girl Apple in 2004 there was a media storm centred around what licence we have to give children names that aren’t what we would expect. At the same time as the rise in more ‘out there’ names, there is a casual decline of more traditional names.
The Independent reviewed 36 names that are dying a death, and at the top of the list were Dean and Derek for a boy, and Angela and Debra for a girl; but what makes a name appropriate for the times? Popular culture remains the biggest contributor to the way that new parents make their choice, Charlotte and George, the country’s youngest royals gave rise to a boom for those name choices in the past three years; whilst the Kardashian craze in the US has led to the most popular new name in the states becoming Kylo in 2017.
The boy band One Direction also remains popular with many parents across England and Wales, but it appears that Irish member Niall Horan is the least notable. Only 155 boys were given his first name in 2014, compared to 231 Zayns, 902 Liams, 999 boys called Louis, and 5,379 called Harry. Popular TV series Game of Thrones has also begun making its impact on names across the UK Arya is the most popular girl’s name, with 244 babies named after the character played by Maisie Williams.There were also 53 babies named Khaleesi, nine Daenerys, six Sansas and four Briennes.
Today magazine has predicted a trend for 2017 amongst the upper elite in the UK around names, saying that the most up and coming names are set to be Gods; with Thor, Persephone and Zelda topping the list. Tatler, in a similar trend has predicted Czar-Czar, Ra and Innusbruck to be the most popular for the British upper classes. HSPS applicants should think about how names can tell us about a time or period of history. EP applicants should think about how choosing names outside of the ordinary can affect the way a child is spoken to and their development as a young person. 1500 boys were named Messiah in 2016, 40 baby girls were named Goddess and 27 Lords. Philosophy and Theology candidates may wish to think about the affect on religion of anthropomorphoisising names previously reserved for the transcendent.
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >