Scientific discoveries into regulations of the body’s natural clock may have resulted in an end to jet lag.
Writing in Molecular Cell, scientists from Singapore have shed light on how the body’s circadian rhythms (which regulate sleep) work and are controlled. It has been revealed that a protein called Period2, or PER2 (which can be seen as a natural ‘switch’ for turning sleep on and off), responds to heat as well as light and the rising and setting of the sun, resulting in an adjustment of the body clock. This discovery is significant as it could lead to the development of drugs which maintain the circadian clock’s natural speed, allowing the body to avoid lost sleep because of jet lag or shift work. The study also provides insight to one of the biggest mysteries of the circadian clock in the last 60 years and has helped to explain some of the basic mechanisms that govern the timing of the body clock.
The research used both biochemical analysis and mathematical modelling, including a mathematical model that predicts the behaviour of the clock under different circumstances.
Biochemistry applicants may want to explore the role biochemical analysis plays in the development of new drugs, whilst Maths applicants could further explore the link between mathematical modelling and drug development.
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >