Global warming has become an increasingly pressing issue in recent years with many countries investing in schemes and procedures in an attempt to reduce their carbon footprint. However, some of the effects of global warming are no longer preventable, according to a recent study. Cities, such as Miami and New Orleans, in low-lying areas could disappear from our landscape due to the rising sea-levels. If we continue with our rate of burning fossil fuels then we could see these damaging effects occur as early as the next century; even if we were to reach peak carbon emission by 2020, in the case of Miami and New Orleans, this may prove too late to stop the process.
To increase awareness of this problem, Climate Central has published maps showing the state of US cities if pollution continued unchecked; they are planning on extending this to a global scale which will show the comprehensive outlook of global warming.
Geography students should consider the various issues of global warming here and why some areas are at a higher risk. They should evaluate the recent study and discuss if some effects of global warming are indeed unavoidable and, if not, what short and long term preventatives should be put in place.
Measures to prevent global warming can often be difficult or expensive to implement; candidates wishing to study PPE should think about how much governments should be investing into such programmes. They should also contemplate the reasoning behind some politicians for denying the existence, and subsequent problems, of global warming.
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >