A theatre company has developed a ‘cube’ to allow blind people to engage more fully with the experience of live theatre.
The cube is being used in conjunction with performances of Flatland (a production held in total darkness) by Extant, the UK’s only professional performing arts company of visually impaired artists. Engineering applicants should consider the applications of such a device external to the theatre set, such as the potential for this cube to replace guide dogs and walking canes in giving visually impaired people a heightened sense of space and direction.
The cube is a robotic hand-held device which communicates through a sense of touch. The cube turns and shifts in user’s hands, similar to a compass, to guide them around various locations in the theatre, using vibrations to signal changes in direction for the user. Radio signals monitor tags attached to the audience and send instructions via WiFi to the cube devices in real time, giving each theatre goer a unique, attuned experience with the rest of the crowd.
The haptic device was created by Ad Spiers from Yale University’s centre for robot manipulation and biomechanics. Ad noted the obtrusiveness and distraction that many haptic devices, such as mobile phones and games controllers, can cause through vibrating loudly, and instead sought to create a more subtle, unobtrusive sensation for users of the cube. The technology has recently been supported by £125,000 from the government to further fund innovation.
The production is based on the 1884 satirical novella by Edwin Abbott, about a two-dimensional world of two-dimensional characters. The deprivation of the novel, and the desciprion of the dark homeland of Flatland, is brought to the audience via the deprivation of sight and reliance on the cube’s guidance. English applicants should consider the ramifications of this device on the storytelling of the play, considering sensory deprivation in film and theatre as a narrative device.
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >