Lidiane Leite, Mayor of Bom Jardin, a small town in northeast Brazil, has been governing for three years – largely through WhatsApp messages to her cabinet.
WhatsApp, the mobile app which allows remote communication, has been the foundation of Lidiane’s term as Mayor, which she has used to delegate work to other people while she operates remotely in more affluent areas of the country. When she took office, Lidiane was just 22 years old with little experience in public service. Upon her appointment, she moved to Sao Luis, 150 miles away, taking $4 million of public funding with her.
PPE applicants should consider what remotely operating governance could mean for the future of democracy. Ms Leite’s distance approach was perhaps marred by her lack of experience, but it must be considered whether a politician needs to be seen and physically present in their locality for them to be effective at their job. Historians would do well to explore how these themes of absent but powerful governments are repeated throughout time, paying particularly attention to colonialist empires where figurative rule was often by a foreign figurehead, with legislation implemented at a local level.
Ms Leite is currently wanted for corruption and is being searched for by the police. Prior to this charge, she had a large public profile not only on WhatsApp but through other social media outlets; in particular Instagram. HSPS applicants should consider the responsibility of public officials in their private life, and whether there is a divide between the personal and political. An interesting case to explore in light of this would be that of Anthony Weiner; a prospective New York mayoral candidate whose campaign was damaged by exposes on his private life.
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >