Lidiane Leite, Mayor of Bom Jardin, a small town in northeast Brazil, has been governing for three years – largely through WhatsApp messages to her cabinet.
WhatsApp, the mobile app which allows remote communication, has been the foundation of Lidiane’s term as Mayor, which she has used to delegate work to other people while she operates remotely in more affluent areas of the country. When she took office, Lidiane was just 22 years old with little experience in public service. Upon her appointment, she moved to Sao Luis, 150 miles away, taking $4 million of public funding with her.
PPE applicants should consider what remotely operating governance could mean for the future of democracy. Ms Leite’s distance approach was perhaps marred by her lack of experience, but it must be considered whether a politician needs to be seen and physically present in their locality for them to be effective at their job. Historians would do well to explore how these themes of absent but powerful governments are repeated throughout time, paying particularly attention to colonialist empires where figurative rule was often by a foreign figurehead, with legislation implemented at a local level.
Ms Leite is currently wanted for corruption and is being searched for by the police. Prior to this charge, she had a large public profile not only on WhatsApp but through other social media outlets; in particular Instagram. HSPS applicants should consider the responsibility of public officials in their private life, and whether there is a divide between the personal and political. An interesting case to explore in light of this would be that of Anthony Weiner; a prospective New York mayoral candidate whose campaign was damaged by exposes on his private life.
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- Oxbridge: the global impact Concerning UK university admissions, UCAS have released some interesting stats.... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >