BBC Radio 5 has recently carried out research focusing around the subject: Would you tell your boss if you had mental health problems? The study suggests that people feel they are worried, scared and unable to declare their mental health problems to their employers in fear of being sanctioned or being made redundant. There are various strands and questions that students can branch off from this topic.
Applicants for PBS or Experimental Psychology may want to think about the place of mental health in a neoliberal, capitalist system, how it is treated and its causes. If mental health is showing trends of increasing within modern societies is this a causal effect of changes in society or is it because mental health is now more easily identified and documented than before?
There have been moves in other countries to reduce the hours in a working day- what effects will this have on people’s mental health and could it be a trend we see throughout other European countries in particular?
Student who want to study HSPS or History and Politics might think about theorists like Durkheim and the study of anomie. Is the current lifestyle that the modern day man is forced into adopting means that people are becoming apathetic and disconnected, leading to increased levels of depression? Furthermore, could this be used to explain acts of violence as people turn to aggressive action to express their frustrations?
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >