Robin Dunbar, professor of Evolutionary Psychology at Oxford University, has recently stated at the Cheltenham Science Festival that rather than upright walking, emotional intelligence, or culture, gossiping is what makes people human.
While Anthropologists and Human Sciences professors have argued over what makes a human for centuries, this recent claim proposes that it is gossip which makes us human, as it allows people to pass on vital information about who to trust, and helps us bond with family and friends.
The longevity of our life is influenced by the size of our social networks. Maintaining our relationships with other people will therefore extend your lifespan, and the modalities of gossip ensure that relationships are maintained through regular and variable communication.
While gossip may have negative connotations for some, a recent study by Manchester University found that even as known gossips were not trusted, those who gossiped too little were similarly viewed with suspicion. Rather than being a damaging communication tool, when humans first evolved, gossip was integral to expanding social networks. Gossip allowed early humans to know who to trust and who not to trust, and with this knowledge, grow into larger and larger mobile units.
Archaeology and Anthropology applicants should consider how social knowledge contributed to the extinction of the Neanderthals, while Linguistics applicants should explore how gossip functions as a communication tool in today’s society in light of these studies.
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >