Robin Dunbar, professor of Evolutionary Psychology at Oxford University, has recently stated at the Cheltenham Science Festival that rather than upright walking, emotional intelligence, or culture, gossiping is what makes people human.
While Anthropologists and Human Sciences professors have argued over what makes a human for centuries, this recent claim proposes that it is gossip which makes us human, as it allows people to pass on vital information about who to trust, and helps us bond with family and friends.
The longevity of our life is influenced by the size of our social networks. Maintaining our relationships with other people will therefore extend your lifespan, and the modalities of gossip ensure that relationships are maintained through regular and variable communication.
While gossip may have negative connotations for some, a recent study by Manchester University found that even as known gossips were not trusted, those who gossiped too little were similarly viewed with suspicion. Rather than being a damaging communication tool, when humans first evolved, gossip was integral to expanding social networks. Gossip allowed early humans to know who to trust and who not to trust, and with this knowledge, grow into larger and larger mobile units.
Archaeology and Anthropology applicants should consider how social knowledge contributed to the extinction of the Neanderthals, while Linguistics applicants should explore how gossip functions as a communication tool in today’s society in light of these studies.
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >